Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How the heck did I get here???

In January 2009, Chris Nickerson - Founder and CEO of Lares (http://www.lares.com/) - offered me the opportunity to make his company's first outbound sales inquires...via phone, email, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and however else I could manage to build the buzz about his company.

So how come I got this opportunity??? Hope you have a few minutes!

Chris and I grew up in a suburban town in Eastern Connecticut and spent our time "social engineering" our way past the adults at the local, ritzy swim-clubs so we could use the tennis courts and pools on blistering summer days. It was no surprise to me when, after departing for the greener pastures of Kansas City, Chris was quick to embark on a career path in the information security industry. From his time spent working as a Security Architect for Sprint to the day he decided to begin his own security consulting company, Chris has quickly become a pioneer and a leading authority in the industry.

As for me...I certainly went a less conventional route to the position I am in now as an Account Executive for Lares. In High School, I generally skated by on personality and charm, with the occasional half-assed completion of a homework assignment. I learned the hard way that this approach did not work at the collegiate level. With a one-point-something grade point average after three semesters, it was pretty evident that I had some real learning to do.

I was lucky to have an Uncle who worked in middle-management at a Hartford-based insurance company so, with his assistance, I ventured into my first insurance company cubicle job. It was fantastic! I was 19 years old and making good money for a relatively easy job.

But after about a year, I was losing interest and started to skate by on personality with a little bit of bullshit sprinkled on top. I quickly found myself a 21 year-old who was stuck in a cubicle with no advancement opportunities and, even worse, no motivation...So I decided to try something new and exciting.

I signed 'the dotted line' on August 7, 2001. A little over a MONTH before 9/11 occurred. The Army National Guard was my route to a tuition-free college education, but everything changed after that. 6 years (and 2 active duty tours) later, I found myself wondering, again, what the heck to do when I grow up...

Humble pie can actually taste pretty effing good when you swallow it with a big ol' glass of pride. I spent a couple of years after leaving the National Guard doing a lot of soul searching, using my benefits as a Veteran to attend college again, doing odd jobs, begging, borrowing, and stealing (don't worry...it's just a figure of speech). After all that, I wound up in that cubicle environment again, only this time with a much brighter outlook. This lead to the opportunity to work full-time from home....which is where this story is being written right now. If not for this opportunity with my full-time job, I wouldn't have had the liberty to say yes to what occurred next...

Chris Nickerson and I have stayed in touch since he moved to Kansas our Junior year of High School, so it was no surprise when I received a text message from him on New Year's Day. Only this time his inquiry was a little different in nature;

"Wut r u doin nxt week?" he inquired.

Figuring his work was bringing him to the East Coast - which usually leads to us drinking heavily in New York City on a work night - I responded with a quick, "Hanging with you?"

He promptly shot back, "flying u to Vegas...got a job opp 4 u"

And so he did. We spent the week of CES discussing what types of services his company offered and I was immediately hooked. How could I not be excited about working to create a buzz about products and services that seem to come right out of a movie (Sneakers - starring Robert Redford - comes immediately to mind)!!???!!???

I am not yet a learned member of the information security industry...but with the guidance of Chris and the other experts at Lares, I have a feeling I will not be venturing into other endeavors any time soon. And I will be lame and take this opportunity to thank everyone for getting me where I am today. I just can't wait to give it all back.


Thanks for reading this excerpt...until next time (don't worry...there will be some information on social engineering, infosec, etc...)

1 comment:

  1. ... huh... cool.

    I'm only in it for the Ocean's 11 like stuff.

    How can I be a part of Nickerson's 11? LOL.

    ReplyDelete