Thursday, March 5, 2009

Social Engineering...not just for Pen Tests anymore!

I never enjoy receiving sales calls from anyone, especially Telemarketers. I have signed up for the National DO NOT CALL gimmick, but still receive intrusive phone calls...ON MY CELL PHONE...at least once a day.

From my previous posts, you know that I recently took on an exciting new position as an Account Executive for Chris Nickerson's security consulting company, Lares (http://www.lares.com/).

Yesterday I asked myself, aloud (c'mon...I work at home ALONE all day), "how much of a pain in the 'you-know-what' am I being while making prospecting calls to companies???"

It's kind of a nuisance for all parties involved; I literally have to social engineer my way past customer service reps, administrative assistants, dogs, bees, and dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees (I love the Simpsons...and I digress) just to get to speak with a generally disinterested person on the other end of the phone who is most likely too busy to talk with me in the first place, or not the person I need to speak with anyway.

I will continue my verbal quest to show people the potential returns on their investment in preventative security measures, but will definitely be implementing a few new strategeies to build my account network.

I'll keep you posted and will let you know if I take over the classes for Dale Carnegie.

No comments:

Post a Comment